Thursday, May 9, 2013

To My Future Generations (To Be Continued)

Song of the Day: One Step At A Time by, Jordin Sparks

I can't BELIEVE I still haven't really introduced myself yet! It must be awkward that you've been hearing all of these random and angst-y thoughts without knowing the author behind them!

Well, to be honest, I don't know myself either....
But just some general facts on me....
  • At the time of this post, I'm 18 going on 19 *in the tune of 16 going on 17*
  • I'm 5'4"; a height which I found out is pretty short here in BYU 
  • I was born in Fountain Valley, California but I grew up in Santa Ana where everyone is either Hispanic or Asian (hence, if you were 5'4" you were on the taller side) 
  • I have a beautiful Guatemalan mother and an amazing Indonesian father who met each other in their ESL class at community college (they literally came from opposite ends of the Earth to America to find new opportunities and love. I know, I'm going to pitch a movie about their stories. More on them later!)
  • I am the oldest child of three and the oldest grandchild of eleven. 
  • My two younger siblings are Nicole (the fashionista) and Andrew (the video-game/anime/comic book nerd) 
  • I'm currently attending BYU for my undergraduate
Now those are the general facts, the stuff that I know for SURE it's true. 

As for everything else, I have 18 facts about me that I have developed throughout my lifetime:
  1. I love lists! Hence why I am telling you all in this format....
  2. I am left-handed, which means either I am very unique from everyone else or I die earlier than everyone else. You can decide. :P
  3. I am absolutely obsessed with music! I always have a "song of the day"- hence the YouTube videos with each post- that's stuck in my head and people usually find out because I'm either singing/humming it or I put the song on repeat on my laptop. It might be annoying but my middle school teacher once told me that a soul with a song is usually a happy soul, which I agree wholeheartedly. :)
  4. I have a love/hate relationship with my curly hair. Sometimes I wish it can just not be frizzy and messy in the mornings but I love it that it has a mind of its own. I'm weird I know. 
  5. I heard from many people that I'm a very expressive person through my face and actions. According to Bishop, my facial expressions during testimony are his emotions times 100 (whether it be happy or sad). 
  6. I cannot CANNOT detect sarcasm. Not even to save my life. I need to work on this. In order to help, my friends have this "sarcasm sign" they do so that way I know it's sarcasm. It still doesn't work. 
  7. I'm naturally loud and I can't help it. I just love noise! Which is why I want a big family because I'd rather have chaos and noise than silence and order and.....sorry to say, boredom.
  8. My favorite movies are Happy Feet, Meet the Robinsons, Pursuit of Happyness, Slumdog Millionaire, and Wreck-it-Ralph.
  9. My favorite animal is the penguin because they look like they're wearing tuxedos! They're so cute!!!! :D *insert fangirling here*
  10. My favorite books are The Great Gatsby, Gifted Hands, Jane Eyre, A Walk to Remember, and The Fault in Our Stars 
  11. I hate "ye old English". It bores me. It puts me to sleep. Just no. (I'm looking at you Jane Austen and Charles Dickens!) I prefer regular English jargon instead. 
  12. Hi my name is Maya and I'm addicted to YouTube. It's my go-to place for most of my leisure time. 
  13. I'm currently trilingual; I speak fluent English, Spanish, and French. My goal is to become a polyglot (+4 languages) and the next language I want to learn is Japanese! :)
  14. After helping my mother with treating people with Alzheimer's, I want to become a doctor. Or a neurologist. Or a geriatrician. Or an oncologist. Come back to me when I figure this out. 
  15. Me gusta bailar y cantar. J'aime danser specifiquement bachata et tango! Translation: I love to sing and dance! I like to dance specifically bachata and tango! 
  16. I'm a sucker for traveling and experiencing new cultures. My current list of countries I've visited are as follows: Guatemala, Mexico, Indonesia, Taiwan, Croatia, Greece, Italy, and Spain. This list will expand once I get the funds and the time :D
  17. I'm more of a theatre/artsy girl than a sporty girl. I'd much rather watch a musical or visit an art museum than watch an American football game (Don't get me started on this....)
  18. And I'm a Mormon. I know it, I live it, and I love it! (Guess the reference!) This gospel has brought so much happiness to my family and my own life! It taught me the Plan of Happiness and has given me instruction, strength, and comfort in times of doubt and hardship. I've truly seen the hand of God work in my life. It has blessed me abundantly in both great and small things. It has given me so many opportunities- including the opportunity to come to BYU. I have a testimony that I am a loved child of our Heavenly Father, that He sent His son Jesus Christ on Earth to sacrifice his life for our sins because they both truly love us. I have a testimony in the scriptures and that they were written for our day and if we carefully study them out they will give us the instruction to solve all of our daily problems. I believe in the power of prayer and that God answers these prayers either directly or indirectly through friends or talks. I know that Joseph Smith was a chosen prophet to restore the gospel for these latter-days so that we may prepare ourselves for his Second Coming. I know that families can be together forever and I know that the priesthood is ordained by God. I know our current prophet Thomas S. Monson is a prophet for our time and I know that if I follow his instructions, I will return to the presence of our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ whom love us so much! 

I know that that's not all of me. I'm still immature and underdeveloped. And I still don't know myself fully yet. As they say, "the rest is still unwritten". 

But if I take it "one step at a time" and day by day, I know I'll develop into the person I want to be. Into a person that God would be happy to see, and I know He is because He's already seen my divine potential. 

During these next couple of years, I will discover myself and what I want in life. I'm so excited for my future experiences and to see my progress. Even after my freshman year, I'm a much different person than before I came to BYU! And I love that I became a better person! 

AND I'm excited that you'll accompany me on this journey towards my true self and towards eternal happiness. I'm excited to discover my true self, the true Maya! :D 

Wish me luck! 

Love, 
Maya 
Unwritten by, Natasha Bedingfield 


No comments:

Post a Comment