Side Note: Slumdog Millionaire is one of my favorite movies of all time! (It is rated R though...I suggest you watch the TV edited version because aside from swearing, this is a feel-good movie and should not be ignored!)
So lately I've been rewatching some of my favorite movies, Cats Don't Dance and Slumdog Millionaire (the censored version mind you) to name a few.
When I finished Slumdog Millionaire, I realized I was crying. But it wasn't because I was feeling lonely (even though I was). I was crying because at the scene when he kisses her scar, it was like him telling her that all of her pain and longing and worry is now over because they're together now.
It was a beautiful, poignant scene.
Then it got me thinking about how I can apply this to my own life. I am jealous that she gets the man of her dreams, but then I remind myself that she went through so much crap- prostitution, abuse, isolation- in order to finally get her happy ending. That's why the ending was so satisfying.
This final scene reminds me that I have to go through my own crap in order for me to be happy. I can't just wish for true love and a perfect life. I have to WORK, AND WORK HARD AND DILIGENTLY, in order to to get what I want.
At the same time, it has showed me the kind of man I want in my husband. For some reason we girls have silly misconceptions that our true love is a knight in shining armor; a "prince charming".
But, to be quite honest, I was never attracted to those types of guys. Yes, I found them attractive, but it was just a shallow attraction.
I am actually very attracted to the opposite image of "tall, dark, and handsome."
I like nerds. Nerds are usually small, pale/light-skinned, and cute (not the type to be on the posters of Abercrombie and Fitch). And that's okay.
I find nerds like the male lead in Slumdog Millionaire to be my ideal guy because even though they may not be strong like Adonis or smooth like James Bond, they won't mistreat me.
Think about it. Adonis was full of himself and loved the attention of many, while Bond had a new lover in every new mission/movie (Do "Bond Girls" ring a bell?)
Though they are super attractive, they'll be the worst husbands to have!
A nerd will actually have genuine feelings for the girl he likes. He won't be caught up in his own narcissism. He'll work hard to win the girl of his dreams. And once he has won the girl, he'll do whatever it takes to keep her; to show her why she's so valuable in his eyes. Now who WOULDN'T want that?
The point of this post is to consider what kind of man you want in a husband. And that's why dating is so crucial, because you get to know the men in your life.
While flings are fun and make you feel good in that moment, they won't last for very long.
I want my future daughters and descendants to know that it takes time for quality relationships to develop. And while we are impatient and want to get married as soon as we have the chance, it'll be more worth it to wait and meet the guy that will "kiss your scars away." The guy (or girl, should my sons/grandsons see this) that will prove to you everyday that he loves you and wants to spend eternity with you.
And with that, I leave you. Now time to go take that New Testament midterm!
Love,
Maya
No comments:
Post a Comment