Song of the Day: Latch by, Boyce Avenue feat. Lia Marie Johnson (original song by Disclosure feat. Sam Smith)
On today's song: I love the original, but this acoustic cover is just pure ear magic! It highlights the song's sincere and romantic lyrics, making it the romantic song it was destined to be than the club banger it became. :)
I've come to a point in my life where my decisions will definitely affect my destiny. That's daunting to say the least. Even President Monson has informed us this past General Conference that "decisions determine destiny."
Because of that, I've noticed people trying to advise and counsel me on every detail of my life: from what career I should pursue to even the people I talk to.
I understand this advice when it's coming from my family and my bishop.....but then there are times where random people (whom I've only met once) would try to fill in the roles that are already filled.
Example: this guy who is the home teacher of my grandfather in Guatemala decided it was his duty to make sure I stopped talking to Elder Sunun's family.
.....What?
He was justifying it by saying he was my "friend" and that he wanted the best for me. First off, he's not my friend in the sincerest form of the word. We are only friends on Facebook because he takes care of my grandpa and I want to make sure that he's okay.
Second off, he has no stewardship over me. None. Just because he takes care of my grandpa doesn't mean he needs to take care of me. I have my mom and dad, my grandpa and grandma, my aunts and uncles, my roommates, and Heavenly Father, all of whom know me better and are already giving me counsel on who I should talk to.
I appreciate the intentions, but the execution was not necessary in the slightest bit.
In fact, he harmed me more than helped me, because in the end I discovered that he had a hidden agenda. He wanted me to date his cousin.
He claimed that Elder Sunun was horrible for me because he was poor, lazy, and didn't strive to be better. Yet, during my time in Guatemala, I had never seen them interact once. Again....what?
When I asked him why I should date his cousin....
Him: He's hard-working, faithful in the gospel, and despite the fact that he is poor, he will treat you well.
Me: You know that's funny, because that's exactly who Elder Sunun is.
He stopped talking to me after that statement.
Yes, I was being sassy. At this point I was done with all this backseat driving for my life, and I wanted to make my point clear.
1. You didn't and still don't know my relationship with Elder Sunun. How can you analyze and criticize our relationship when the majority of our relationship was spent out of church?
2. Your claims are based off of observations from the outside in on the family. Elder Sunun is a separate and different person from his parents....plus he's on a mission, something his father did not do.
3. You don't know me. All you know are facts that my grandpa has mentioned to you (that I want to become a doctor and that I'm currently strengthening my testimony). You don't know my weaknesses, my struggles with depression and anxiety, my weird moments, my awkward stories with my grandpa, my crying episodes, my doubts, my inner demons.... you only see this picture-perfect portrait because that's what my grandpa wants you to see me as.
So I did what I usually do to backseat drivers....I tell them to take a seat and let me handle the drive. If they don't like it, they can tell me they want to leave and I will let them go at the next stop. Everyone's happy.
And this is the point I want to make to my future offspring.
Don't let anyone backseat drive your life. It's not their life, it's YOUR life. They won't face the repercussions of your decisions, it will be YOU.
And I'm going to say it now (and I hope my future children and husband will remind me)...but as your future mother, even I don't have the right to backseat drive your life once you turn 18. The only person that has this right is your Heavenly Father. Don't oppose Him. Trust in Him. I know that can be hard because He's physically not hear, but constantly ask for His guidance. He knows what's best for you.
I will not argue with you if you tell me that you've talked with Heavenly Father and he wants you to do something I'm not comfortable with. I will trust in Him and in His timing just like you will.
I'm going to be honest now....I'm scared that whomever I pick to marry that my family will be upset. But you know what? It's my life. I love my family and I know that they love me so much that they don't want me to make a grave mistake. But I will counsel with Heavenly Father and if the person I need to marry is someone my mother/father/grandparents/aunts/uncles don't approve of, well then....tough luck. I'm not going to go against God. Even if it means disappointing my family for a bit, it will be worth it, because I'm following His will, His plan, for me.
To make a final statement, and to relate this post back to the song, I will Latch onto my first priority right now and forevermore: my Heavenly Father. He knows what's best for me. I trust in Him.
Love,
Maya
No comments:
Post a Comment