Song of the Day: Bailando by, Enrique Iglesias feat. Gente de Zona
So, it's been a long time since I blogged. There's a reason for that, but I'll bring it up in another post sometime later.
But right now, let's focus on this recent trip to Guatemala. If someone were to ask me what movie was best portraying my life at the moment, it would be Eat, Pray, and Love.... the Mormon version.
The Eat:
I basically ate anything that was on my plate. Sometimes I knew what it was, and sometimes I had no clue. Yet I put them all in my mouth anyways.
So what was it? Any and every part of the cow, including but not limited to:
- the head (cabeza)
- tripa
- longanizo
- ubre/uvre (the utter or the breast of the cow)
- ceviche de criadias (the testicles of the bull. And yes, I didn't know that was entering my own digestive system until after the fact.)
- the foot (la pata)
And to add: turtle soup ( which I personally recommend only for the strong-hearted), iguana (which I personally recommend anyone to try!), and horse (which I personally recommend to no one ever)
The Pray:
The Mormon church is strong in this country. The chapels literally stick out like white beacons in the jungle. It's beautiful. But you know what's even more beautiful? The members themselves.
Goodness gracious are they a force to be reckon with.
I was blessed enough to be included into a lovely ward in the cute, little town of San Felipe. They were nothing but friendly and they all had strong testimonies of Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ and they all loved to serve! Just like me.
Because of their strong faith in Christ, I was able to witness the baptism of not one, not two, but FOURTEEN investigators in a single day. It was the longest baptism I've been in, but the spirit was so strong there. I was able to create friendships that I'm sure would last a lifetime, which brings me to the last part...
The Love:
So after 20 years of being single (which I may or may not be extremely proud of, by the way) I finally experienced my first relationship. I know, shocking right? I still can't believe it myself.
And how was it, you ask?
It was kind of amazing.
The story?
I first met him in front of the church on a rainy day in San Felipe. I found him extremely attractive with his big, brown, puppy-dog eyes and flashy smile. He took second glances at me. I swooned. I became best friends with his family as we got to know each other. We went on dates to various food stalls. I (as well as he but I didn't know at the time) started liking him more. After a family home evening with his family, we confessed. He asked me to be his girlfriend despite the short time we had. After praying about it, I finally said yes.
Initially, I was hesitant about this whole relationship. We were going at an accelerated pace due to the short time I had in Guatemala. I thought it was going to end up a disaster. But, strangely enough, the more I got to know him and the more time our relationship progressed, the more I realized how lucky I am.
I'll talk more about David Moises Sunun in another post when I have pictures and can prove to you that he actually exists, because he's like a platypus to me: an animal I never thought would exist and then it just shows up and it makes me happy that such a creature exists in this world.
I still don't know why I was given this opportunity to get to know and love this awesome person, but I am grateful for God everyday for giving me such a wonderful first experience like this one. Even the breakup was kind of awesome. Who gets to say that every day? Haha.
But seriously, it was as close to perfect as it can get.
San Felipe will always have a piece of my heart, in more ways than one. :)
And that, my friends, is why someone should seriously make my life into a movie. That way, my dream of having Emma Watson act out my life could become a reality as well!
Until next time (which is very soon)
Love,
Maya Atmojo
No comments:
Post a Comment