Song of the Day: Almost There by, Anika Noni Rose
If I can relate to any of the Disney princesses, it would have to be Princess Tiana from Princess and the Frog
Let's compare!
We both:
However, we have one problem: we give up our own happiness in order for others to be happy, and we lose focus on what's really important in life.
Luckily for her, she was able to realize that by the end of the movie, but as for me....
I still have the rest of my life to figure this out.
Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you should not focus on school and your education (especially you girls).
I'm just saying there has to be a balance.
There's a difference.
There's this little diagram that has spread throughout the Internet. It's a triangle with each corner labeled with one of three things: Good Grades, Sleep, and Social Life.
The hidden truth lies in the caption where it says: "You can only have two of the three things" because you must sacrifice the third.
But I like to think of this situation like this:
We both:
- have parents that loved us so much
- love to sing
- know what we want in life, and know what we must do in order to get there
- are workaholics (or in my case, a "schoolaholic")
- and love our family and friends and will sacrifice our own happiness for theirs
However, we have one problem: we give up our own happiness in order for others to be happy, and we lose focus on what's really important in life.
Luckily for her, she was able to realize that by the end of the movie, but as for me....
I still have the rest of my life to figure this out.
Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you should not focus on school and your education (especially you girls).
I'm just saying there has to be a balance.
There's a difference.
There's this little diagram that has spread throughout the Internet. It's a triangle with each corner labeled with one of three things: Good Grades, Sleep, and Social Life.
The hidden truth lies in the caption where it says: "You can only have two of the three things" because you must sacrifice the third.
But I like to think of this situation like this:
Because in reality, you CAN have it all, you just have to have control and time management
(in other words become a jedi)
HOWEVER, I'm currently struggling with retaining a social life (more specifically dating) while trying to do well on my classes and have a fair amount of hours for sleeep.
But you know what? I'm here to tell you this:
To all my future daughters, granddaughters, great-granddaughters, etc. I know you will have the pressure ( because you'll be growing up in a Mormon society) that you must get married as early as possible. And people will tell you that your careers and dreams that don't involve the family should be shafted for your future family and husband.
Here's the thing: IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THAT WAY
If you have a dream of being a doctor or an engineer or whatever, then GO AND GET IT!
And if Heavenly Father agrees with it, you'll know it.
That also means you REALLY SHOULD CHASE THAT DREAM!
And if you're interested in a boy who has a different plan for you and thus doesn't like your life plan, then FORGET HIM.
If you find a boy whose plan agrees with yours, then good for you!
(that doesn't mean there will be no compromises, we'll talk about that later when I actually go through that)
And if you don't date as often as your roommates/friends/wardies, that's FINE. Yeah, you're going to feel a bit lonely (trust me, I feel that way sometimes, especially when I don't have a boy interested in me while everyone else does) but here's what I learned:
(in other words become a jedi)
HOWEVER, I'm currently struggling with retaining a social life (more specifically dating) while trying to do well on my classes and have a fair amount of hours for sleeep.
But you know what? I'm here to tell you this:
To all my future daughters, granddaughters, great-granddaughters, etc. I know you will have the pressure ( because you'll be growing up in a Mormon society) that you must get married as early as possible. And people will tell you that your careers and dreams that don't involve the family should be shafted for your future family and husband.
Here's the thing: IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THAT WAY
If you have a dream of being a doctor or an engineer or whatever, then GO AND GET IT!
And if Heavenly Father agrees with it, you'll know it.
That also means you REALLY SHOULD CHASE THAT DREAM!
And if you're interested in a boy who has a different plan for you and thus doesn't like your life plan, then FORGET HIM.
If you find a boy whose plan agrees with yours, then good for you!
(that doesn't mean there will be no compromises, we'll talk about that later when I actually go through that)
And if you don't date as often as your roommates/friends/wardies, that's FINE. Yeah, you're going to feel a bit lonely (trust me, I feel that way sometimes, especially when I don't have a boy interested in me while everyone else does) but here's what I learned:
Heavenly Father promised that all of us will receive ALL of his blessings that he's promised us. The only difference is that for each and every one of us, we'll receive those in different times; when we NEED IT MOST (not when we WANT IT MOST)
So what am I doing currently?
Sleep: I'm getting enough hours of sleep so that way I don't sleep during class!
School: I'm doing well on my tests and I'm working towards getting that 4.0 GPA for both Spring and Summer Semester
Social life: I'm being social and just strengthening my friendships. I am going on dates for the purpose of strengthening my relationships with the boys :)
And even if I don't have a boyfriend/fiance/husband, I'm working on becoming a better person by volunteering, serving others, etc.
And I'm keeping myself occupied with participating in mentored research programs and looking into study abroad programs and volunteer programs at the hospital.
And you know what?
I'm happy. :)
So what if I don't have boy? I'm happy because I know what I want and I'm Almost There!
And eventually I will find my Prince Charming, because I am worthy for Heavenly Father's blessings because I'm striving to become righteous, and that's all that matters! :)
So the moral of the story?
To heck with the naysayers! DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO!
It's your life.
Your happiness.
Therefore it's Your decision.
Now go out there, chase your dreams, live your life, and choose to be happy
Find the JOY in your JOurneY (see what I did there?)
Find the JOY in your JOurneY (see what I did there?)
Then again, who am I to say you should do those things? ;)
Love,
Maya Atmojo
P.S. But really you should listen to me
P.S.S.(just kidding! But seriously....)
No comments:
Post a Comment